If you’re a business owner, you know the importance of removing snow and ice quickly and efficiently. You are responsible for ensuring your employees and customers can safely navigate your property’s parking lots and sidewalks.
However, many business owners aren’t too sure how to approach commercial snow removal. We have four tips for business owners to consider.
#1 Stock Up on Materials
Snow removal is only as effective as the tools you use. That’s why it’s essential to stock up on all the proper materials before the first flurry of snow. Here are just a few of the things you need:
- Make sure to get shovels that are ergonomically designed.
- This is best for large properties.
- Snow and ice melt
- We recommend finding a product safe for animals.
- Ice choppers
- Make sure you choose one with a great handle.
- Scatter fine rocks to give grip while walking.
#2 Host Proper Training
Many Alberta residents strain their backs while shovelling snow. Protect yourself and your employees by hosting health and safety training for anyone responsible for snow removal on your property.
This training should cover:
- The importance of warming up your body before physical activity (like shovelling snow).
- How to use proper body mechanics while shovelling snow, such as turning with your whole body instead of twisting at your waist.
- The safest time to shovel (which is after the snow has finished falling).
#3 Use Markers
Before the snow falls, you should invest in reflective poles or markers around the perimeter of your landscaping areas. This is to ensure that you don’t accidentally scrape over grass or flower beds.
It’s also a great idea to use markers to block off the area where you will pile snow throughout the winter. This will help keep piles contained.
PRO TIP: Some businesses will block off several parking stalls with pylons.
#4 Trust the Professionals
If you don’t have the time, energy, or resources to remove snow from your property, you can always hire a professional snow removal company like Earth and Turf Landscaping!
Hiring a professional comes with a lot of perks:
- You don’t risk personal injury or exhaustion.
- Your clients and staff will be able to safely walk or drive around your property.
- You don’t waste time and can focus your energy on the operation of your business.
- You have the option to have the snow completely removed from the property.
- You won’t be responsible for supplying materials like snow melt or gravel.
Our team would love to help.
Get your quote from Earth and Turf Landscaping! We’ll help you with all your snow removal needs.